Our Vision & Mission
Vision and Mission
The Community-based Research Laboratory (CBRL) is a knowledge hub created by Dr. Gutberlet in 2005 and located in the Department of Geography at the University of Victoria. The CBRLab hosts a group of researchers and students that are committed to participatory oriented and community-based research in Canada and abroad.
Our vision is to link global issues with local actions for sustainable change by establishing partnerships with different stakeholders (university, government, civil society, NGOs, business sector, grassroots initiatives) to improve the livelihoods of individuals and communities.
Our mission is to conduct participatory action research with community members in order to achieve progressive social, economic and environmental sustainable and transformative change.
Our key areas of focus include:
- Responsible consumption, waste reduction, resource recovery and circular economy
- Social inclusion, empowerment and gender equality
- Co-management of resources and co-production of services
- Social and solidarity economy, ecological economy
- Civic engagement and governance
- Public policy
- Rapid assessments of assets for and barriers to sustainable community development